NOTE: This is a union position with Local 2000, click here for the full contract.
Position: Legislative Reporter
Position Type: Temporary full-time – 9 months (June 1, 2021 – Feb 28, 2022)
Reports to: City Editor
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Division: Postmedia Editorial
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 120 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
The Vancouver Sun and The Province is seeking a legislative reporter to fill a temporary, full-time reporting vacancy who will help drive superior coverage of issues and events. Excellent reporting and writing skills are required, as well as the ability to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced multimedia news environment.
The successful applicant will be joining a multi-platform digital operation, publishing online and in-paper as the largest newsroom in Postmedia Network’s western region. The combined traffic of our two publications is in excess of 3.3 million unique visitors per month.
This temporary unionized position for the period June 1, 2021 until February 28, 2022 is based on a nine-day fortnight rotation with superior pay, pension and benefits.
What you’ll do
- Reporting and writing stories for print, web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
Who you are
- Experience at a daily news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
- Fluency in digital platforms, multimedia journalism and social media.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions.
- Familiarity with data journalism and investigative reporting.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a newsroom team
- An understanding of local politics
Should you be interested in this opportunity please apply with a cover letter, resume, and writing samples in one document.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis. Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.