Since receiving the May 27, 2020 notice of layoff, we have reached a tentative Letter of Agreement with Postmedia. This temporary cost-cutting measure will be voted on by the membership.
There are two prongs to this agreement: first, members will take 13.5 hours off without pay over a 14-week period and second, the Company will implement a Voluntary Buyout Offer (VBO). The number of applications accepted may shorten the duration and hours of the agreement and eliminate the proposed layoffs.
Summary of tentative Letter of Agreement with PNG regarding temporary reduction of hours without pay:
- The program would begin the week of June 14, 2020 and end September 19th, 2020 for a total of 14 weeks. Each week during this period, members will work one hour less per week for the first 13 weeks and 1/2 hour less in week 14 for a total of 13.5 hours without pay.
- The reduction in hours will not affect future vacation entitlement, ER days calculations, any VBO nor severance calculations if applicable.
- After September 19, 2020, members will resume working full hours and will be paid full hours.
- The Company will offer the VBO starting June 15th for a two-week application window, which will close at the end of day Friday, June 26th.
- If the Company accepts one application, the agreement would be reduced to 12 hours over 12 weeks. If they accept two applications, the agreement will be reduced to 10 hours over 10 weeks. If they accept three or more applications, the agreement will be reduced to two hours over a two-week period.
- In addition, if the Company accepts at least one VBO application, the Company agrees to withdraw the proposed layoffs with the adoption of this agreement.
- Extended benefits and cost share will not be affected by this agreement.
We are recommending acceptance of this proposed Letter of Agreement.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions we will be hosting two Zoom town hall meetings on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 to go over this proposal and hold a vote after the meetings. Zoom ID and password will be emailed to your home email address Tuesday morning.
Meeting 1 is scheduled for 10:30 am
Meeting 2 is scheduled for 5:30 pm
For voting, we will be using an electronic system; Simply Voting. We will need your home email address in order to send you a ballot to vote. If you have not been getting our Mailchimp updates, then we do not have your home email address. Please contact the Union office at email@example.com with your home email address in order to ensure you get a ballot.
How it works
Once the vote is opened at 6 pm on Wednesday, June 10, an email will be sent to the home email we have on file with a unique ID and password. You simply click on the link to view the ballot and then vote “YES” or “NO” to the question.
“Do you accept the recommendation from the Union to proceed with the Letter of Agreement outlining the temporary reduction of hours program?”
If you have trouble voting or do not receive a ballot by Thursday morning, please contact the Union Office at 604-408-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.