The Burnaby NOW has an immediate opening for a full-time reporter to join our team of talented journalists.
We’re looking for a digital expert who has a passion for telling stories that resonate with the community both on our website and in our social media feeds. The successful candidate is a self-starter who is at ease in a fast-paced environment and comfortable behind both the keyboard and a camera.
On a daily basis, you will be asked to write on a variety of subjects, including news (politics, crime, courts, etc.), business and lifestyle coverage. The successful candidate must be able to track down, verify and report on breaking news, pitch original story ideas and write, edit and publish their articles on a consistent, daily basis. The successful candidate will be able to shoot and edit photos and isn’t afraid to go live on social media. The newest member of our team will also be a newsroom lead on scheduling and posting editorial content to our digital channels.
An ability to shoot and edit video is an asset, as well as an ability to design pages in InDesign on an occasional basis.
- Degree/diploma in journalism, broadcasting or related field is preferred
- Experience as a reporter in a newsroom is preferred, but we’re open to all candidates
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Superior news judgment as well as language, writing and editing skills
- Photography, video and editing experience are an asset
- Strong social media storytelling skills
- Understanding of journalism ethics, law and copyright
- Able work a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends when required
- Organized, self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
The Burnaby NOW is a community newspaper that has a vibrant online presence that we are looking to take to the next level in terms of reach, reader engagement and around-the-clock coverage. The NOW is owned by Glacier Media Group, a dynamic media organization that owns newspapers and other media outlets throughout the Lower Mainland and across Canada. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
NOW reporters are part of Unifor and wages are set out via a contract.
Please send your resume, cover letter and work samples to Chris Campbell, editor, The Burnaby NOW at email@example.com; write “digital reporter” in the subject line. Deadline: Wednesday, March 3 2021.